Dr. Mark Valente, DO, Plano, TX, 75024
Dr. Mark Valente is a fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine. He performs minimally invasive procedures to reduce tissue and muscle damage, allowing patients to recover quickly and return to their active, pain-free lifestyles. He has extensive knowledge of and experience in performing the most technologically advanced techniques and procedures currently available. This training includes time spent at several specialty centers around the country including the University of California in San Diego, Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, William Beaumont Hospital in Michigan, Botsford Hospital – Michigan State University, the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, and Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.
Dr. Valente believes in the human body’s ability to heal itself. Every attempt is made to help his patients regain a healthy, happy, and fully functional lifestyle without surgery. He utilizes a variety of treatment modalities such as anti-inflammatory medications, analgesics, physical therapy, aquatic therapy, massage, ultrasound, injection therapy, acupuncture and chiropractic care when appropriate. Only when a patient has been unable to alleviate symptoms with non-surgical treatments is surgery considered as part of a comprehensive treatment plan.
He performs all aspects of spinal surgery (cervical, thoracic and lumbar), including minimally invasive procedures for herniated discs, stenosis, spondylolisthesis, compression fractures, trauma and degenerative disc disease. He also performs complex spinal reconstruction and deformity surgeries, including scoliosis and revision surgery for patients who have undergone previous spinal surgery without success.
Dr. Valente has extensively lectured, as well as researched and presented his findings, to physicians and surgeons nationally and internationally. He has also been published in textbooks and written research protocols in the area of minimally invasive spine surgery. His research in this regard has been recognized as the “Most Outstanding Study” by his training institution. In addition, Dr. Valente has held academic appointments as Clinical Instructor at both Michigan State University and the University of California.
As a board certified spine surgeon, Dr. Valente ranked no. 3 in the country among all orthopedic surgeons sitting for the oral board examination. His extensive experience, research and related contributions in the area of minimally invasive spine surgery have all contributed to his success as one of the most highly trained surgeons in his field.
Well liked by his colleagues, peers and patients, Dr. Valente is often recognized for his ability to communicate with his patients and for his bedside manner. He believes in treating his patients with the attention and respect that every person deserves.
Dr. Valente is part of Dr. Pain, the largest network of top-rated orthopedic surgeons and pain management specialists in Texas.
Type of Arthritis and Joint Specialist
- Orthopedic Surgeon
Areas of Expertise
- Cervical Spine Arthritis
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Facet Joint Disease
- Joint Pain
- Lumbar Spine Arthritis
- Osteoarthritis of the Spine
- Spinal Arthritis
- Sports Injuries
- Thoracic Spine Arthritis
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Revision Surgery
- Spinal Fusion
LanguagesLanguages Spoken: English, Spanish
- Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon, American Board Of Orthopedic Surgeons, November 2012
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), 2010 - 2012
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS), 2005-2009
- Basic Life Support (BLS), 2007-2009
- Spine Surgery Fellowship, University of California Sand Diego
- AO Spine, 2009 - present, Associate Member
- North American Spine Society, 2008- present, Member
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2005 - present, Candidate Member
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics, 2005 - present, Member
- Detroit Academy of Orthopedics, 2005- present, Member Affiliate
- American Osteopathic Association, 2004 - present, Member
- Michigan Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 2004 - present, Member
- Michigan Osteopathic Association, 2004 - present, Member
- Oakland County Osteopathic Medical Assocaition, 2004- present, Member