Meet Dr. Thomas Vail
Dr. Vail is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco. He is a specialist in surgical treatment of conditions of the hip and knee. His research focuses on performance and outcomes of surgical procedures and devices, delivery of care in adult reconstruction, and cartilage repair strategies.
After graduating from the Duke University School of Engineering cum laude with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, he earned his medical degree at the Stritch School of Medicine at Loyola University, Chicago. He completed his internship in General and Thoracic Surgery and residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Duke University Medical Center, and then went on to complete a fellowship in Adult Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Vail was part of the faculty at Duke Medical Center where he advanced from Assistant Professor to Professor and Director of Adult Reconstructive Surgery. In January of 2007, he was named Professor and Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Vail has published several hundred scientific articles, abstracts, book chapters and educational materials. He is presently in the Presidential line of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, and was recently named to the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Vail is part of the team that makes up The Arthritis and Joint Replacement Center at UCSF Medical Center.
Directions to our primary location in
How Dr. Thomas Vail Can Help You
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Osteoarthritis of the Hip
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee
- Hip Replacement
- Knee Replacement
Accolades for Dr. Thomas Vail
- Professor and Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco
- Fellowship, Reconstructive/Cosmetic Surgery - Duke University
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Association for Arthritis Hip and Knee Surgery
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Diplomat of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners
- Eastern Orthopaedic Asssociation
- Interurban Orthopaedic Association
- North Carolina Medical Society
- North Carolina Orthopaedic Association
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
- Piedmont Orthopaedic Society
- The Hip Society
- The Knee Society
Office Information for Dr. Thomas Vail
Profile last updated: September 1, 2016. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.