Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Getting a Grip on Arthritis of the Hand

Recent research from the CDC suggests that about 40 percent of adults will develop osteoarthritis (OA) of the hand at some point in their lives.

OA of the hand is a common condition that causes disability in hand strength and function. The study also found that OA of the hand is more common among women. For women, it typically develops after menopause because of declining estrogen levels.

Symptoms: Remember, women are not the only people at risk for OA of the hand. Talk with your doctor if you experience these symptoms:
  Pain that feels dull or burning and often occurs after joint use, such as heavy gripping or grasping.
  Swelling when the joint is subject to greater stress.
  A joint that is warm to the touch, due to your body's inflammatory response.
  Looseness or grinding sensation in the affected joint.
  Cysts that cause ridging or dents in the nail plate of the affected fingers.

Treatment and Care: If you have OA of the hand, you can take steps to relieve pain and inflammation. Common treatments include:
  Nsaids to help ease pain and inflammation.
  Corticosteroids to control inflammation.
  Analgesics to relieve pain, particulary in people who cannot take Nsaids due to allergies or stomach problems.

If you have any of these symptoms please see your doctor.

Sandra
Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please read my  Medical History
advertisement

Comments

• TriniGTTriniG Posts: 1

Have you tried microcirculation therapy ?  My friend's been having sessions for her joint pains and I'm just curious. She's sold on it, and I want my mom to try it. I just want more input. Thanks!