Switching Rheumatologists

Hello Everyone -

I just started the process of looking for a new Rheumatologist (I'm currently seeing some one that I'm not happy with) and I'm finding that most doctors are requiring a referral or "transfer order" from my current doctor.  This is not a requirement of my insurance, merely an internal policy for several local doctors.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, can you please explain the reasoning behind this and how to maybe circumvent this?  I really don't want my current doctor to know I am interviewing new doctors until I'm ready to make a change.  Any thoughts or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated!  

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 136

Ive never run into this.   As long as my insurance company did not require a referral, I could switch at any time.

The only thing that I am not sure of is the "Transfer order"  To me that sounds like your current doctor would transfer your medical records to the new doctor you selected, so its not really a referral.   

Some doctors may share data base information, so that wouldnt be necessary, but not all doctors can see another doctors notes

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com