Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

What can trigger a flare up?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129
Over the years, living with Osteoarthritis, I've understood the ongoing steady degeneration of my joints and spine.  Since we all know there is really no cure for Osteoarthritis, I put most of my efforts into trying to slow it down.

But later, I've been noticing another aspect to this.  From time to time, I have a thumb trigger finger that flares up.   Right now, its in a flare up, has been for the past 3 weeks and will probably go on for another 3.   I've also started a flare up in my right big toe..  At first we thought it to be pseudo-gout, only because of the pain and sensitivity to any pressure.   At my recent doctor's appointment, it was determined, that it is not pseudo-gout, but instead an arthritis flareup

Which brought me to the next question.   Why and how do these flareups start?  Its been my experience that flare ups are more associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis.   I have had blood work done and there is no sign of RA.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
 I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
advertisement

Comments

• This is an older post but I can relate...and hope you are better!

The doc told me there is no rhyme or reason for flare ups; in fact I was shocked when this major knee flare happened to me last week... and he said this was NOT RA (I had all the symptoms)!

For me....recent OA 'twinges' have occurred with weather/barometric changes, stress, and some foods (shellfish and citrus), and I had 2/3 triggers for this major flare.

Admittedly I had not been as proactive as I should have been, but until recently just had aching finger nodules or a knee/hip twinge that would pass; my worst problem has always been my neck  OA = muscle spasms = migraines.

This was my wake up call for a better diet and regular exercise, and now I know that IF I get another flare ....I did all I could....know how to deal with it and I will survive LOL

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

That is just like Osteoarthritis!    With Spinal problems (cervical,thoracic,lumbar) many times you understand or can pinpoint why you have a flare up.  Most of the time, its a matter of overdoing something, or doing things that you should not be doing.

I know, so many of my spinal flareups were caused exactly by those things.

With OA, its different, one day you can be feeling fine and the next day, all the negatives and discomfort appear.   And you can not pinpoint it to anything.

Changes (weather, stress, etc) can play a role in starting these flareups.   I generally do not have any flare ups because of the weather, but I do feel it more during season changes.  Almost to a tee, the start of each new season, I will go into a flare up that lasts a couple of days.

I have found that when I have any flare up (knees,hips,lumbar) that generally causes a bit of a gait change.  After a few days of that, I have more discomfort in the spine and my OA tends to be more intense.

Take a look at this video.  It was a 'cocktail' I put together a couple of  years ago and the company made it into a video

Best Cocktail for Helping with Arthritis

Some day, they I hope that will have medications to deal with Osteoarthritis, like they do for Rheumatoid Arthritis

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement