Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Is it possible to do genuine cardio with arthritic knees?

Hi all, my first post. I'm a UK male, 59, with osteoarthritis in both knees. I've always been athletic and enjoyed gym, but since developing OA a few years ago, this has tailed off, and I've put on weight. I really want to exercise, but all the equipment I try hurts my knees. It's not so bad if I go really slow, but that's no good for cardio. My question is: Is it realistic to think you can do effective (weight-reducing) cardio with arthritic knees and if so, what is the best equipment for this (i.e. equipment that doesn't start my knees hurting)?

advertisement

Comments

• hello wolfiemozart!
    welcome to arthritis-health

while you are waiting on other members to reply, go to the search box at the top right of the page and key in "exercising with osteoarthritis", scroll down past the ads. there you will find articles on this subject, especially on page 2.

in the meantime, please click on the welcome link below and tutorial for more information on the forum.
    welcome to arthritis-health and how to start using our system

take care and we hope to hear from you soon.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Yoga gets your blood flowing. More specifically, the relaxation exercises you learn in yoga can help your circulation, especially in your hands and feet. Yoga also gets more oxygen to your cells, which function better as a result. 

Twisting poses are thought to wring out venous blood from internal organs and allow oxygenated blood to flow in once the twist is released. 

When you regularly get your heart rate into the aerobic range, you lower your risk of heart attack. Yoga lowers cortisol levels. If that doesn't sound like much, consider this. Normally, the adrenal glands secrete cortisol in response to an acute crisis, which temporarily boosts immune function

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

I have Osteoarthritis in my knees, and had to have both of my shoulders and hips totally replaced because of that condition.

In addition, I had quadruple bypass heart surgery this past February (2018).

I still do cardio exercises at least 3x week.  The treadmill  was approved by my physical therapists and my doctors for both cardio and osteoarthritis.  No, I cant jog or run on the treadmill, but an incline of 6 is fine with a speed around 3.5   Do this for about an hour.

Then I can use the recumbent bike or nu-step.  Again, both perfect cardio workout machines and approved by my doctors for my condition.

However, before you start ANY exercise, you need to discuss it with your doctor to get their approval.  No two people are the same, so what works for one person, could be trouble for another.

The fact that my doctors approved my workout setup, does not mean it is valid for everyone.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com