Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Just Diagnosed with Osteoarthritis

It was the acute pain I felt while walking that caused me to go to a Rheumatologist.  I could not pinpoint where the pain was coming from, but when I stepped on my right foot, I'd get a sharp pain in my upper right hip towards the front that made it feel like my leg was going to buckle.  Apparently, that is not the osteoarthritis, but a calcium deposit on one of my tendons near my hip BUT I also have osteoarthritis in my lower right back and hip and less so on my knees.  Happy Birthday to me...seriously.

For now, I'm just taking a stronger medication (I was taking meloxicam and/or ibuprofen) that I just started today.  Walking is uncomfortable and I feel old - altho I don't look old, I'm at that age where osteoarthritis is supposedly common.

I'm very depressed over this.  I want to be able to walk and get my mobility back.  When I wake up, I'm so achy, it takes me 15 minutes to stretch and fully straighten out.  It all seemed to come on so suddenly.  Just 3 weeks ago, I just started yoga, was feeling good, and wanted to start some exercise regime.  Now, it hurts to much to do certain stretches especially on my right side.

That is all I'll say for now - I'm new to this - and I hope I can be of some help and vice versa.

Trudijane

advertisement

Comments

• hello trudijane
    please click on the welcome link below and tutorial.
    welcome to arthritis-health and how to start using our system

with having osteo, rheumatoid, and fibro i understand how you feel. plus having spinal issues does not help. i have found that, although i am very stiff first thing in the mornings, if i get up and walk it helps. i also do mild stretching exercises all during the day. when i have a flare up i know it's the inflammation. i am on a low dose of arthotect but only take it when needed.

although the article below is also about spinal issues,  it will give you an idea of how it works.

chronic pain and depression go hand in hand. but we can get over it. talk to your doctor about pt and/or the proper exercises.
    take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129
    The more you research about Osteoarthritis, the easier it will be for you to deal with.

However, the one known fact, there is no cure for Osteoarthritis. There are no medications that can reduce the pain or discomfort like there is with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The best we can all hope for is to slow down the progression of Osteoarthritis. For some people its a slow long term process, for others it can happen in a matter of years.

I was first diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in 2004. I started having shoulder problems in 2006 and by 2010, the OA had reduced my shoulder joints to bone on bone. The only solution was complete and total shoulder replacements. I had both my left and right shoulders replaced in 2010. The OA continued, and in 2012 and 2013, my hips had also deteriorated that both joints were bone on bone, so total replacements in both hips were done. Once it was formally diagnosed as a rapidly degenerating form of Osteoarthritis, I knew more was to come. Right now, I am being faced with the probable total replacements of one of my knees.
    It will only be a matter of time before the other knee will also require surgery.

Sounds pretty dark and gloomy doesnt it?

One thing that OA helped me with was when I had a laminectomy done in 2016 from L2-L5 to correct a severe lumbar spinal stenosis condition. The surgeon was figuring on the need for a complete set of rods for stability. But after taking a look at X-rays before surgery, he saw that my OA had spread all over my spine and that it actually acted as a fusion or stable spine, so I did not need the rods.

Take a look at these sets of articles All about Osteoarthritis

As I mentioned, there is currently no cure for OA, but the best we can do is try to slow down its progression. You will find many articles here and all over the internet about different foods that you should eat to help slow down arthritis and those you should avoid. There are also many supplements out there that try to do the same. I've been taking a cocktail of Turmeric, Ginger, Hot Pepper, Raw Apple Cider, and Honey for years now. Those ingredients are known for their anti-inflammatory purposes. No, it has not stopped the pain and discomfort from OA, but I know it has help me with the over pain management of OA. Cant say it will work for everyone, but its harmless to try.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement