Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Total shoulder replacement surgery

Hello I am 46 years old and will be having a total shoulder replacement surgery. I was wondering how the surgery and recovery went. I have a very physical job that requires lifting and pulling.(I upholster) Wondering if I will be able to return to my job with hard work and determination

advertisement

Comments

• William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 37

Hello gsnap

Welcome to Arthritis-Health

While your waiting for members to answer your query

Please look into the other. Information resources that Arthritis health has to offer via the link below

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 122
    @gsnap123

I can give you first hand knowledge and experience regarding total shoulder replacement surgery.
    First of all, there are two basic types of shoulder replacements:
    1. Standard total replacement, replacing ball/socket as their normally are in your body
    2. Reverse shoulder replacement, where they switch around the position of the ball/socket
    3. I had the standard surgery first one (left) in April 2010 and the second (right) in October 2010. I had the option of the reverse, but my surgeon's advise me against that because of the condition of the shoulder and that while reverse shoulder surgeries are easier and quicker to recovery from, they may not last as long.The actual surgeries were not too difficult. I had the left one done first, because I am a leftie and figured I might as well start learning to use my right hand. The day after surgery, we started on physical therapy. It was not very difficult only because I was still on a good amount of opioid medications in the hospital.The recovery process started immediately when I got home. Formal physical therapy started 2 days after I got home from surgery and was for 3 times a week for 10 months. In addition to that, I had 2 hours of home therapy every day!. That therapy was very difficult. From a position where my arm on the table to lifting my arm over my head was like torture! It brought tears to my eyes every time we did it. My wife had to do it, since I could not do it myself. I hated every time when we had to do this.For my second shoulder replacement, I purchase a home pulley system so that I could do that lifting method by myself. Still two days a day every day and very painful, along with formal physical therapy 3x week for 10 more months.In total, I spent about 18 months in formal physical therapy plus a total of 24 months of home therapy.BUT it all paid off. Considering that I was 60 for the first surgery and already had 8 spinal surgeries, the physical therapist and my physiatrist did not expect that I would have a lot of range of motion after surgery. My surgeon differed. Prior to surgery, I had about a 70-75% range of motion and the expectations were about 80%. After it was all said and done, I had about 95% range of motion. Everyone but my surgeon was amazed.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 122
    Here is a great video for this surgery
    Total Shoulder Surgery
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com