Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Night pain with shoulder arthritis

I have severe osteoarthritis in left shoulder and am on the list for total shoulder replacement. It becomes very painful at night, I get about two hours sleep by taking Naproxen at bed time, then the rest of the night is in patches, with increasingly severe pain. I am a side sleeper, so sleep on my good side with the bad arm supported by a pillow, but still it's almost unbearable as the night goes on. I take more Ibuprofen in the night but it doesn't work. I'm exhausted all the time and don't know how long until I get the surgery Has anyone found anything that helps? There are aids for sleeping more upright but they're expensive and  I wouldn't be able to sleep anyhow. I'm feeling desperate. 

advertisement

Comments

• jinty
    welcome to arthritis-health and how to start using our system

managing pain requires a blend that you can do yourself.

i hope this helps you out some.
    keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

@Jinty

I know exactly what you are going through..   From 2006 until 2010, Osteoarthritis was tearing apart my shoulder joints.  I had many steroid injections that were just buying me time.  Finally in 2010, I had both of my shoulders totally replaced with new ball/joint and stems.  They were done in April and October of 2010.

These were the Total Shoulder Replacement surgery vs the Reverse Shoulder Surgery (I will add links for those)

I found that almost a year before I had the surgery, I could not sleep in bed.   Most of the time, I slept in a recliner.  That at least do not put any additional pressure on my shoulders

Total Shoulder Replacement Surgery

Reverse Shoulder Replacement Surgery

I optd for the Total replacement because according to my surgeons and my other doctors, it would be longer lasting.   Even though the recovery was much harder.   I dont know which one you are going for, but you should talk it over with your surgeon.

The MOST important thing about shoulder surgery is the recovery!   I spent over 18 months in actual physical therapy (combined for both shoulders) plus I did 24 months of daily home exercises for my shoulders.  It was grueling and very painful.  I hated to do those exercises every night.  But it all paid off.  I have more range of motion now than I did before surgery.  

The doctor felt I should hope to reach about 80% ROM in my shoulders.  That was because of my age (at the time 60) and that I have had so many prior spinal surgeries.   But the hard work paid off.  I have about 95% ROM in both shoulders!

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement
  • I feel your pain. I have a similar problem. Operation is the last solution. but before that I would like to try the alternative. I had a lot of acquaintances recommended Acuraflex capsules and the cream. supposedly their pains decreased within 3 months using acuraflex capsules and creams.