Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Night Pain

I'm 45 and have been dealing with OA for about 25/30 years...yes it started when I was about 15 because of osteochondritis dissecans.  After years of degrading knees, I'm finally at the point where I have not slept through the night in 3 weeks. I can deal with the pain during the day and during exercise but the nigh time pain and sleeplessness are starting to take its toll.

I wake up several times at night with shooting nerve pain from my knee down to my ankle.  After trying many different approaches (OTC sleep aids, NSAIDs, Alcohol, etc) I finally figure out that the only relief is getting up and walking around.   After I get out of bed and walk around the room for a few minutes and lay back down, the shooting pain goes away and I get back to sleep.  IT works but getting up and walking around 4 or 5 times a night will start to take it's toll after a while.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there any other way to deal with it?  

advertisement

Comments

• William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 37

Hello gbrenz

Welcome to Arthritis-Health

The cumulative effects you are suffering adds to the misery on top of the pain.

While you wait for a response from other members, please use the link below for mor information resources that Arthritis-Health has to offer.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 118

I've dealt with Osteoarthritis for a long time now.  The ONLY solution, since there is no cure for OA was surgery.  I have had both of my shoulders and both of my hips totally replaced with implants because of the arthritis degeneration.   I am now on target for a complete knee replacement.

I would think that since you have been dealing with this for so long, the only solution would be joint replacements.

No medication, no OTC, no gels, no alcohol is going to make the problem go away.   The problem may need surgery

As I said with OA, there is no cure, the best you can do is to try to slow down it progress.   That can be tried with specific foods and some supplements.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement