Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

47 yr old retired Marine with severe arthritis

Hello everyone,

My name is Josh. I'm 47 and a retired Marine. I joined this forum because I'm due for full shoulder replacement in 2 weeks and curious if it's worth it. This will be my 3rd surgery on my right shoulder. I'm bone on bone and have severe pain. I guess Im on the younger side to get this surgery. If you've been in my situation and have advice please let me know. Thank you in advance. 

advertisement

Comments

• Hi cjlotoma6
    Welcome to Arthritis-Health and How to Start Using our System
    First, I'd like to thank you for your service to this country for so many years. 

While you are waiting for other members to reply, read the discussion "looking to have total shoulder surgery" by Wakecrazy.
    Ron Dilauro gives a very good description of his surgery and recovery.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Sandra
    Arthritis-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 118

@cjlotoma6

What type of surgery was done on your right shoulder before?   I know the exact feeling of bone on bone and how much discomfort and pain that causes.

I had both of my shoulders totally replaced with implants in 2010.

What type of shoulder replacement are you looking at?  Below are links to both types.

Total Shoulder Replacement
    Reverse Shoulder Replacement

These links may also be of value to you.  All about Osteoarthritis

Both of my actual shoulder surgeries were fine.  No complications, everything went as planned.  The hardest part was in the recovery.
    I think I spent about a total of 18 months in/out formal physical therapy for my shoulders along with aqua therapy.   But the hardest part of recovery, was the home exercise I had to do. Every night for about 1/2 hour, I had to left my shoulder up from the table to its highest point.  My wife had to do these exercises for me, because there was no way I could do it myself, nor stop from the intense pain.

For the second shoulder surgery, I purchase a home pulley unit, so that I could do the same exercises without needing my wife.  Still, these were very painful.

I've had about 12 Spinal Surgeries,  an Achilles reconstructive surgery, both hips totally replaced and none of those came even close to the amount of work, effort, pain I went through during recovery.

But it all paid off.  I know have more range of motion in both of my shoulders than I ever had before.

My surgeon and the therapists never thought I would get to even 80% range of motion, because of my age (at the time 60) and multiple spinal surgeries.  But I did it, went full force in recovery and I am glad today that I did all of that.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement