Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Total shoulder replacement January 2019

WakecrazyWWakecrazy Posts: 4
edited December 2018 in Surgery

hi my name is John I’m here in Portland Oregon , Going to be having a total shoulder replacement coming up January 2019.  I guess I’m looking at getting some information on pain management from Hydro Oxsee to CBD.  Also curious about recovery time I’m very active From being a hairstylist it working Contractor and all of the sports that I do water sports to hunting. My doctor is (edit)  spellcheck at OHSU here in Portland. Looking for a little insight to the upcoming adventure. Thanks in advance

advertisement

Comments

• William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 37

Hello Wakecrazy

Welcome to Arthritis-Health

Please use the links below for more information about and inside Arthritis Health while you wait for answers from other forum members.

I have edited out the Doctors name in your post.

5.10 You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities names on Spine-Health.com

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 122

What type of surgery was done on your right shoulder before?   I know the exact feeling of bone on bone and how much discomfort and pain that causes.

I had both of my shoulders totally replaced with implants in 2010.

What type of shoulder replacement are you looking at?  Below are links to both types.

Total Shoulder Replacement
    Reverse Shoulder Replacement

These links may also be of value to you.  All about Osteoarthritis

Both of my actual shoulder surgeries were fine.  No complications, everything went as planned.  The hardest part was in the recovery.
    I think I spent about a total of 18 months in/out formal physical therapy for my shoulders along with aqua therapy.   But the hardest part of recovery, was the home exercise I had to do. Every night for about 1/2 hour, I had to left my shoulder up from the table to its highest point.  My wife had to do these exercises for me, because there was no way I could do it myself, nor stop from the intense pain.

For the second shoulder surgery, I purchase a home pulley unit, so that I could do the same exercises without needing my wife.  Still, these were very painful.

I've had about 12 Spinal Surgeries,  an Achilles reconstructive surgery, both hips totally replaced and none of those came even close to the amount of work, effort, pain I went through during recovery.

But it all paid off.  I know have more range of motion in both of my shoulders than I ever had before.

My surgeon and the therapists never thought I would get to even 80% range of motion, because of my age (at the time 60) and multiple spinal surgeries.  But I did it, went full force in recovery and I am glad today that I did all of that.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement
  •  She was finally let me sign in my first surgery on my left shoulder is five hours and 45 minutes long but it has lasted almost 30 years now. At this point in time I still basically have full range of motion just an extreme loss of strength above my shoulder. I’m looking to regain my strength that I had prior to surgery.  I surgeon says that whichever way they end up going with a full or reverse they will have all the products there to do what is necessary I guess because I have a few holes in my bones from possible infection many years ago that we did not know about . Have my first preop appointment on 17 December . Also still wondering if anyone has used anything like the CBD oil for pain relief immediately after surgery or anytime there after I personally have never Used it before. Thank you sorry for the long post

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 122

I have not, but there are many people over on Spine-Health that use it.

Keep in mind, there are two types of CBD Oil.

The one from the male plant, which can be purchased online or through many smoke shops.  

The other type is from the female plant and can only be purchase through state approved medical marijuana dispensaries and requires you to have a medical marijuana card

The male version from everything I have read does not really offer a lot of positive medical actions.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  •  Yes you are correct on the CBD oil one is from hemp seed the other one is from the female.  Thank you for getting back yeah the thing that has me apprehensive is the dog on nerve block.  I’m hoping to be fairly well set up for post surgery electric chair from when we were taking care of my mother, And I figure at least for ice packs.

• advertisement
  •  Went to my first pre-op appointment found out that along with the nerve block I will be getting a pain pump for 72 hours along with no stay in the hospital. All the reading I have done on the subject I have not come across anyone with a pain pump. Also I guess I have several cysts on my bones they say as large as one and a half cm. It’s my understanding that they will be removing these during surgery. 

• John

Thank you for the update on your surgery. Please post your surgery date when you have it, we like to keep up on everyone.  A pain pump will help you to better control your pain, you just push a button. 
    After surgery starts your recovery. Stay positive and have patience with it. Remember what Ron said above about the amount of work, effort and pain he went through. And it was all worth it.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Sandra
    Arthritis-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you memerainbolt  For getting back with me I will definitely let everyone know what’s going on. The surgery is on January 9. Thanks again Still very apprehensive.

•  Just had my third and final pre-op visit with the surgeon looks like everything is a go for 9 JanuarY. Seems that everyone is on board with using CBD oil as a complement to the Oxsee. Not sure if it will help or not but here’s hoping also they say that I probably will not need much medication for the first three days due to the fact That I will have a pain pump.I truly will try to keep everyone informed post surgery thanks again.

• Wishing you the very best in surgery and recovery.

Sandra
    Arthritis-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement