Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Employment

hi, I’m new to this forum and hoping someone has been in my position and will have suggestions for me.

Last May I was diagnosed with OA in my hands, primarily the end digits of all my fingers.  I have continued to work as a community carer since. However, the last few weeks have been very painful and I am now struggling to complete all visits in the time allocated. I am moving house, 200 miles, to be nearer my children, but I am concerned about my chances of employment. I’d like to leave care work, but I need to do something that pays reasonably well. I am fairly sure I won’t qualify for any benefits. I’m prepared to do any work that my OA will allow, but it may take some time to find suitable work and I assume I won’t qualify for Universal Credit. Any ideas?

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 92

I was first diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in 2006.  Since then I have had both of my shoulders totally replaced and both of my hips totally replaced and am now looking at having one of my knees totally replaced.

I did continue to work full time until 2010, then part time on my feet as a wine salesman until 2016.  Sure, it wasnt easy, and it was painful at times, but I continued to work.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • Hello buzyizzy!
    Please click on the link below for more information on the forum.
    Welcome to Arthritis-Health and How to Start Using our System

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? You said you work as a community care, what line of work is that in? I apologize for all of the questions but you left some things out that may be helpful. Also, what is Universal Credit, I am not familiar with that.
    Do you have a good resume? That's a start along with getting on line and filling out applications in the area where you will be living.
    I know how painful the hands can get, I have RA in my hands and fingers to the point they are getting crooked. Every job we perform is with our hands so this will be difficult but not impossible.

Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Arthritis-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement