We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Hip impingement

Hello everyone. I am new to this group and would like to know if anyone is in a similar situation to me and knows of anything that can help. I have OA in my back and both hips. I got the impression on first visit to consultant that it was not that bad so I couldn’t understand why my right leg would no where near straighten and neither could my physio who had me doing deep hip stretches. Having been back and telling him I have hip impingement he has now told me it’s the OA impinging it. It means I cannot walk without a heavy limp even when the pain is not too bad. I also have OA in my spine so the limp impacts on that and it seriously effecting my ability to do normal things like go for a walk with my family. There is still joint space though and he won’t give me a new hip until all the joint space has gone. I am 59 in April. What I don’t understand is why the right hip is impinged and I have pain all the time. The left hip though effected is not impinged yet both look the same on x-ray? Does anyone know of any other procedure that could free up my hip? With knees they scrape the joints out I believe to get rid of the roughness. Is there anything like this that can be done for hips? Thanks for reading.

advertisement

Comments

• hello julieswims!
    welcome to arthritis-health and how to start using our system

i am so sorry you are having to go through this. i also have oa in my spine and i know that is where a lot of my pain comes from. but i don't have hip problems. so, hopefully other members will share their experiences with you. 
    please take the time to read the welcome link and how to start using our system. it will help you navigate the forum.

take care and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 136

@julieswims

I can relate to the pain and discomfort from Osteoarthritis.  Mine started really deteriorating my bone in about 2004.  By 2012, I had both of my shoulders and hips totally replaced with implants.  Now, I am looking at a total knee replacement.

I am not aware of any scraping they can do on the hip.  By impingement, what are you actually saying.  Normally when we hear impingement its a nerve that is being compromised.   When you say your Osteoarthritis is impinging your hip, I assume you are talking about bone on bone situation.  But not completely otherwise a hip replacement would be done sooner.

Prior to having my hips replaced, I did have a number of steroid injections which gave me months of relief.   I did that for about 2 years before I had to have the replacements

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement