Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Osteo - Just Diagnosed and Very discouraged

hi everyone!

I’m 40 and a teacher. I’ve always been very thin and have no other health conditions that I’m aware of. I was diagnosed with OA in my lower spine (my mother has it too) in the fall of last year. A suspected muscle injury in my back caused it to flare up. The flare lasted 3 months, and then I felt “normal” for 3 weeks. I was so thankful! Until a cold front dropped the temperature 30 degrees one day last week and “Arthur” is back and has moved into my hip as well. I’m feeling very discouraged and am looking for any advice. My children are very active in activities and sports, and I’ve already missed several of them because I could hardly move. I feel so guilty and like a bad Mom.

advertisement

Comments

• hello leemc!
    welcome to arthritis-health and how to start using our system

first of all let me say, you should not feel guilty and you are not a bad mom. you did not bring this upon yourself. more than likely it is hereditary, just a mine is from my dad.
    flare ups hurt!! have you asked your doctor to prescribe something for inflammation? below i have posted a few links for you to read that may help you out.
    all about osteoarthritis 
    what are some basic arthritis medications? 
    treatment 
    the blend 

this should get you started. take care and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

Osteoarthritis can be a very painful condition.  Unlike Rheumatoid Arthritis, there is currently no cure.   The best we can do is the proper exercises, diet and some people have good luck with natural supplements.

I was first diagnosed with Osteoarthritis about 20 years ago.  Over time, that started to rapidly degenerate and deteriorated joints in both of my shoulders and hips.  I had total and complete replacement surgeries with implants in all of those joints.   I have had nothing but good luck and success since then.  I am now head for one knee total replacement , again because of arthritis.

Arthritis is up and down my spine.  I had a laminectomy surgery L2-L4 two years ago, where the original plan was to install rods and screws for stability.   But because of the amount of arthritis in my spine, that provide more stability.  So, that was the one positive of arthritis.

But having Osteoarthritis also doesnt mean that life stops.  You can still carry on almost all of the activities you have already been doing. It may be a little slower, mornings may a bit tougher, but look through some of the articles Sandra sent you and other articles here on Arthritis-Health.  They can be very helpful

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement