Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Total reverse shoulder replacement ( AFTERCARE )

I am 32 and had a tumor ( giant cell tumor)in my Left shoulder. So they replaced it with total reverse shoulder replacement. I also had some cadaver bones in arm replaced... 

my ???’s are. I’m trying to figure out how carful I should be with shoulder at work, play and home life? What happens if you break certain pieces? Do you lose you arm if you break a certain piece? I drive a Cdl truck And I’m afraid steering all day plus all labor envolved will hurt me irreversibly? How long do these last? How is the tune up surgery?

advertisement

Comments

• Hello jasonjoiner!
    Welcome to Arthritis-Health and How to Start Using our System

I have never had this type of surgery so the only information I can give you are articles to read. It would be best to discuss this with PT or your doctor. Hopefully, other members will respond.
    Reverse Shoulder Surgery 

Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

Ive had the total shoulder replacement back in  2010.  While the recovery was long and very hard, it has paid off.   I have little restrictions now, and the ones I do are pretty clear.   Chopping wood, using a jackhammer, etc (which I didnt do before)

I opted for the complete shoulder replacement instead of the reverse shoulder replacement.  The biggest two reasons was the degree of deterioration I had in my shoulders and while the reverse shoulder replacement recovery was easier, the overall 'length' in time for the new shoulder was shorter.

I've found that it was important to keep the muscles and upper body in good condition, so they would help in the overall use of my shoulders.  I've taken big falls since those surgeries and never had any problems.

But, you should ask your doctor about some of the questions you have,  they will be the only ones to provide you with formal medical answers.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement
  • ComradeCComrade Posts: 1

I am new here, have had multiple rotator  cuff surgeries, the latest in 2016. Pain these days is unbearable without meds( even with) I have been shortlisted for a shoulder replacement. No sucess so far and concerned. 61 super fit for my age. Concerned