Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Possible R.A. Diagnosis

Hello Everyone,

I have been doing tests with my doctor to identity pain in my elbow (one side).  Pain has progressed for 2 years and we are now looking at an ulnar nerve issue.

The doctor mentioned today that we would do ekg for the nerve, but that my blood test indicated I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

He said they were unrelated and that I am too young for RA, but not to forget this result for future complications. (Whatever that means) I am 34/male.

Should I get a second opinion regarding RA or just move on with the ekg?

Thank you,

Mike

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmmemerainbolt Posts: 228

Mike

Please click on the welcome link below for more information on the forum.
    Welcome to Arthritis-Health and How to Start Using our System

In your doctor's eyes you might be too young to have RA but your blood tests show you do have it. It will be left up to you what decision you make. If you have faith that your doctor will help you, with either one. If not, get another opinion.
    Below is a link for RA meds.
    5 Types of Medications to treat Rheumatoid-Arthritis
    The Blend 

Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Arthritis-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • This sounds similar to what my new doctor said (although not the "too young" part) and it was because my anti-CCP was positive and my RH factor was negative. She said this indicates no active disease but a near 100% chance of diagnosis in the future, though in my case there's confusion because of how symptomatic I am now. 

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 118

Both forms of major arthritis ( Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis ) have for years always been associated with age.

However, more or more, you will found that not to be always true.

Osteoarthritis can come on at an early age, by that I mean in someone's 20's.  Many times, it is brought on by injuries, prior surgery and at times genetic conditions. Currently, there is no cure for OA, no any specific medication to manage it.

Rheumatoid Arthritis which is basically an immune type of condition can happen at any age.   With RA, there are many medications that can help control and manage the pain.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • Thank you everyone for your comments, they are very helpful.

I have been off work for 2 months (not health related) and even though I am still active, I am more sore as each day passes.  Mornings and evenings are bad.  Bending down for tasks is getting more difficult - i am renovating parts of my house. 

Funny part is I delivered windows for years (very heavy) every day no problems, now i bend down to tie my shoes and feel my knees will give out.

Ekg date is set for may 30 for nerve entrapment/elbow, not sure if they will help me with anything else.

Im thinking I should head back to family doc and either get additional blood tests or new doctor maybe.

• Sorry going to add a few things, im bad at communicating with doctors and always leave with questions.

Lately i feel like even standing up from sitting is painful.  Pains lower and upper back, neck, knees and ancles. 

Wondering know if RA could have been cause of unexplained weight loss 4 years ago - 65lbs in 1 year, and no testosterone production at the time.

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 118

Is there any chance of getting your  EMG/NCS brought in a little sooner?

That will determine if there is any nerve damage.  I have personally not heard of any unexplained weight loss due to Rheumatoid Arhritis

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • memerainboltmmemerainbolt Posts: 228

Mike

You stated you were bad at communicating with your doctors. I know the feeling after leaving their office and wondering why I did not ask this or that. Now, I never go without my notebook full of questions and concerns I've thought or read about. 
    Good luck on your appointment and tests and please keep us posted.

Sandra
    Arthritis-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement