Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Newly diagnosed...kinda

Hello,

Saw my doctor the other day and I'm a little confused.

I'm 27 years old and male. My doctor thinks I am feeling damage from JIA that wasnt caught.

I've had knee and jaw problems growing up amd the occasional tender joint that I remember, but thats all.

My pain started after a big 3 years ago after a small episode of shingles. The pain was in the tips of my fingers and toes after the shingles left (only on my waist). Saw the doctor, got. MRIs, xrays, CT scans, and saw a neurologist and got some nerve tests done. Blood work initially had elevated alt and ast enzymes, but now they are normal.  Everything else was normal.

Recently, last 6 months, due to an increase of pain and now joint pain, I got to a rheumatologist. The pain is now most of my finger joints, my thumbs, my wrists, shoulders, elbows, knees, and feet. They ran an ANA test and it was 1:160 speckled. Ran other tests and everyhting was negative aside from a slightly elevated cpk of 300. Both tests not really saying much. He said my fingers appreare to have lumps and bumps, but the xrays came back normal.

Wouldn't this joint pain show up on some xray? Also, why is it both sets of joints? I thought this was uncommon.

He gave me mexloxican which is helping. He also gave my some steroid pack incase it gets really bad. He said if the pack helps I should got back for more exams. 

Does this sound like anybody else here?

Not really sure where to go from here. Sorry for the wall of text and any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmmemerainbolt Posts: 240

Hello buddyball!

Welcome to Arthritis-Health!! Please click on the Welcome link below to learn more about using the forum.
    welcome to arthritis-health and how to start using our system

Inflammation can be very painful. If the mexloxican is helping, at least it gave you some pain relief. I just finished taking a Prednisone pack for nerve pain but it also helped the inflammation in my joints.
    Your doctor mentioned that you had lumps and bumps in your fingers. These are nodules that form around the knuckles on patients that normally have Osteoarthritis. 

If you are confident in your doctor then I would keep working with him to find an answer. If not, I would get a second opinion.
    Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • buddyballbbuddyball Posts: 4

I find it odd all pairs of my joints started to hurt. It's that nirmal for this type of arthritits?

• advertisement

Unless I missed it, you have not stated what type of arthritis your doctor diagnosed you with. He must have felt you had inflammation of the joints, therefore, the mexloxicam. Are you still getting relief from it?

Sandra
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

Arthritis, mostly with Osteoarthritis, but also with Rheumatoid Arthritis can easily affect both joints of hands, feet, etc.

Its not limited, it depends on the onset of the arthritis and how long it has been going on

There are no medical professionals on this forum site, so you will get the personal opinions of people who have been there before.   With the amount of different areas that you are talking about hurting, to me, it doesnt sound like OA.   That generally hits one joint, and then slowly works down to the next.   With RA, many joints can be impacted at the same time.

But this is something only your doctor can tell you for sure

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  

He didnt specifically state osteoarthritis, but he said it wasnt inflammation because the blood tests were negative. Mexloxican is making a huge difference. A day without and I'm in bad pain.

If its not inflammation, I'm guessing it's wear and tear and thats what he hinted at. I think I should be more aggressive with the doctor.

He,felt my,hands and saod he feels bumps. I asked why it didnt show on the xray and he said, inflammation wouldnt show up on an x-ray unless bad.

So if the bumps are from damage, they should show up on the xray, I think?

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

That really depends on the bumps.  If there are a bone spur or some other bone problem, then they should have shown up on an X-Ray.  But there are many other types of hand bumps (skin problems for example) that would not show on an X-ray

Mexloxican is a strong anti-inflammatory medication that treats Osteoarthritis, which can also be described as the wearing down of the bone joints.   But I find it difficult when the doctor ruled out inflammation.  That is one of the basis of Arthritis and why various medications are used.

If the blood work was negative, I have to assume he ruled out Rheumatoid Arthritis, which generally can be diagnosed from blood work.

Has this doctor given you a formal diagnosis?

And I should add, what kind of doctor is this?  Primary Physician, Rheumatologist ? ,etc

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  

Hes a rhumatologist. And blood work was negative aside from a slightly elevated ana (1:160) which doesnt say much. RF was negative and CRP. Nothing formal, but said call if it gets worse and come back in 6 months, but he thinks its just damaged joints.

buddyball

At least everything came out negative.
    Take care of yourself.

Sandra
  • CodyS1965CCodyS1965 Posts: 2

buddyball,

Hope you find relief soon. Have you looked into CBD? I’ve used it for discomfort in my joints and it is effective. The kind I use is water soluble, has a 94% bioavailability rate and has a 0.0% trace of THC. 

Best wishes!

advertisement