Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Getting The Proper Lab Work

Yesterday, I saw my rheumatologist. I had not been in over a year, had too many spinal issues to deal with.
We knew I have rheumatoid and the results came back positive for the factor.
Uric acid was high. Lately my gout has been acting up.
Sed rate was high and the C-reactive protein (CRP) confirmed body wide inflammation.
My fingers and hands have knots all over and my fingers are turning in different directions.

The X-rays showed osteo, I have 2 fractured vertebra and it's all in my spine.
I need to have a bone density scan but I can't because I have a pain pump. 

He did a complete blood work up, even for lyme disease because we live the woods, which came back negative.
I don't know yet what meds he will recommend, he wants to talk it over with my PM doctor.

Arthritis is something that most people have and just say "oh, I've just got arthritis". But left untreated it can do damage to your body. Especially inflammation.
Go to your doctor and have the blood test ran and a bone density scan.

Sandra
Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please read my  Medical History
advertisement

Comments

• Also wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions as to what helps you? 
    Have you tried anything over the counter or home remedies?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sandra
  • Blood work is one of the most important things in seeing what is going on in your body.  For those of us with many health issues blood work can be a life and money saver.  When i start feeling bad blood work immediately rules out my thyroid so then I am able to move to the next suspect.  Over the years I have gotten pretty good at knowing when my thyroid is off, but initially I was clueless what was happening.  Blood work can also show the beginning of things at almost a sub clinical level and knowing a health problem before it begins or anticipating a flare after seeing the increased inflammation can mean so much to a better quality of life.

• advertisement
  • I think a lot of people don't realize the damage just the inflammation can cause.
    And when my results came back that I had body wide inflammation it got our attention.  Now I'm on a regiment of anti-inflammatory meds and I hope we can get this under control.

Sandra
  • Its very damaging, not just structurally, but within the functions of how the brain reacts to pain.  Inflammation past the point where its healthy process can be very damaging, but the ability to see it creeping up allows the person to adjust possibly lifestyle to lower it vs. medication or supplement with the medication in less severe cases.  There are many anti inflammatory diets out there and many report lower pain while on them.

• I totally agree, the foods that help inflammation are all really good. I eat fruit and a handful of nuts every day. The fruit has a lot of antioxidants and the nuts have the good oil you need. 

There are several very good articles on this forum regarding the proper diets to help fight it. 
    Just go to the top of the page and click on Treatment. 

Sandra
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

There is so much different about OA and RA , yet there are so many things that are similar.

Gout, which is a form of arthritis is normally identified (as Sandra stated) by blood work and understanding the uric acid level.   Above an 7 and you will probably be identified as having gout.   Two medications that I have used to combat this was Allopurinol (maintenance once you get the uric acid level under 8.) and colchicine which really brings down the uric acid level.  But once you reach the correct level, you should stop taking that.   My doctor told me on a big gout attack, take 2 colchincine in the AM and 2 in the PM.  That provides a massive counter attack against gout.

All roads lead to what the lab blood work indicates!
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • Run321RRun321 Posts: 2

OMG I just know zero about two of these diseases I have. In reading your posts I have learned so much why with having these never been tested for Gout and never heard of Uric Acid. Sure it is my responsibility to learn but come on why has  not my doctor's even suggested blood tests for inflammation ? Maybe they did and I never paid attention wow do I have a lot to learn. So glad I came over here thanks Sandra for encouraging me to. 
    I do stay on a diet for my stomach inflammation I was told I had a couple of years ago. Sugar is my enemy when I eat chocolate my body hurts big time. 
    It is tough to learn about and balance all of it with the spine issues but inflammation if I can and learn about it more that effects it all so here I go. 
    What does Gout feel like is it always in the feet? My feet hurt so dang bad with burning, swelling, numb, lumps on top it hurts. 
    Aaron I just got told I may have some type of blood, auto-immune, muscle disease so had blood work today. Not sure what they mean but we will see.
    Sherri

advertisement