Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Gluten, Diet and Arthritis

Hi All,

I have a question for anybody who can help me.  My lovely wife who has just turned the big 40 recently had an X-ray on a suspected broken wrist.  The wrist was thankfully ok but the doctor noted that she was in the early stages of arthritis.  She has also recently begun to experience sciatica, a thing I am very experienced with but she has not had any trigger like a fall or an accident.  She does have mild scoliosis of her lumbar spine.  Added to this we have recently discovered she is gluten intolerant. I read that this can contribute to arthritis.

My question is can anyone suggest ways we can slow down the development of her arthritis through diet?  We are limiting the intake of gluten but its really hard as she is a professional cook and must taste the food to ensure its OK.  Unfortunately this means she gets small doses of gluten all day long.  Is there a critical point where food intolerances  influence arthritis?  

I realise you can't give medical diagnosis, just wondering if anyone had made any personal observations which may guide us.

Cheers

Phil

advertisement

Comments

• Phil

I am so sorry to hear about your wife, she is so young to start having to deal with arthritis. But at least it was caught in the early stages.
    Did the doctor do any blood work for inflammation?

You mentioned her intake of gluten of which I just read an article where researchers have found a link between gluten and non pathological pain. I know whole grains are good as an anti-inflammatory but there again the gluten.

You also brought up a very good question about food tolerances and arthritis. Let me do some more research and I'll get back with you.
    I'm sure you have researched the foods to eat and not eat but go to the top of the page to Treatment. As usual, very good articles on diet.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

Phil,

As we all know, there is no cure for Osteoarthritis.  I've been watching it rip through my body for the past 12 years now.  Its non-stop.

The only thing, OA patients can do is to try to slow down its destructive path.

There are a number of foods, herbs, supplements that people can take to attempt to slow it down.   For the past three years, I've been taking a 'OA Cocktail'   The best anti-inflammatory cocktail

I am a big fan of

• Turmeric
    • Ginger
    • Hot Pepper
    • Cinnamon

Under the main tab, Treatment, you will find a number of articles talking about this.   Plus our Facebook Arthritis-Health site has even more.

From a gluten point of view, wheat can contribute to joint pain.  My primary care physician had given me a list of grains to eat and those to stay away from.  Wheat being the one most cited to cause joint pain.  Follows sort of a Mediterranean diet.

The good thing, is that there is so much information about this topic.  I would start just looking through what is presented here on Arthritis-Health.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement
  • I am also a natural remedy fan and the turmeric is a wonder ingredient, I use it a lot in cocktails, smoothies, food.