Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

My knee brought me here

Hi everyone,

I am 48 years old and have lived with knee pain to a certian degree, since I was 21 when I had a complete ACL tear and 2 flap tears in my meniscus.  I had knee surgery and was able to return to activities which I was thankful for.  I continued to be active, hike and be an active participant in my children's sports.  At time went on my knee got worse and I had a few more surgeries to "clean things up".  A few years ago, the pain became much worse and activity would cause it to flare up and swell.  This lead me to stop exercising and put on weight which just made the knee problem that much worse.  I went back to the doctor who told me not much he could do as I have very little cartilage left and now suffer from osteoarthritis.  I have tried cortisone shots which did help and the synthetic knee fluid injections which were a waste of money and provided no relief.  I am doing ok now, as I have lost most of the weight, found new ways to get exercise and seem to have a pez dispenser of Aleve.  I guess my worry is what will the future be like?  I know it is only going to get worse and I am not ready for the lifestyle change.

I have come here to read other's stories they share, find some advise and hopefuly share some of my own.

Christos

advertisement

Comments

• Hello Christos!
    Welcome to Arthritis-Health and How to Start Using our System

I hope you find your time here informative and helpful. Congratulations on the weight loss, I know it was hard but worth it. I like you bit of humor about having "a pex dispenser of Aleve" lol. 
    One thing we cannot worry about is what the future holds. I have an old saying, "there is no need of us borrowing trouble from tomorrow when there is enough to deal with in a day".
    Below are a few links for you to read.
    The Blend 
    All about Osteoarthritis 
    Knee Osteoarthritis Treatment

Take care and I hope other members will respond with their experiences.
    Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Arthritis-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 109

It is amazing to see how much wear and tear our joints get over the years.  Then when those develop Osteoarthritis , it just makes things more complicated.

Because of Osteoarthritis and the deterioration it had done to my bone joints, I had both of my shoulders and both of my hips totally replaced.   I do say, that with ongoing exercises and keeping somewhat active, I have not had problems in those areas

However, as with many Osteoarthritis patients, the deterioration doesnt stop.  I had meniscus surgery on my right knee about 5 months ago.  That surgery was fine, but as the surgeon suspected, its bone on bone and I will be ready for a complete knee replacement soon.

I tried 2 sets of Steroid injections which did not help, then when through 5 weeks of synovial injections.  That gave me some relief, but I dont think its going to buy me as much time as  I would like

So, much of what I have to do keep the knee as strong as possible, to delay the inevitable.

But so many people think about a lifestyle change.  There are some impacts, yes, but overall it hasnt changed my lifestyle.  I am just a lot slower than before and its harder getting up.  But then again at 68, that is bound to happen with our without arthritis.

Please take a look at  All about Knee Arthritis and Help

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement
  • xrstosxxrstos Posts: 2

Thank you both for the links, the reading was very informative.