Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Compression gloves and stockings

Hi there

I am new to this group.

A little background: I have fibro, Osteo and RA...lucky me lol

Dignosed 4 years ago.

allergic to plaquenil, methotrexate not effctive. arava worked great but screwed up my liver...fine now.

I have been off all meds since before last Christmas. In April I started on prednisone. I saw a Rheumy in July. I will be starting on Enbrel as soon as I cleared for drug and Trillium (Canada)

In the meantime.....hands, wrists, ankles and knees are bad. not much helps.

I bought compression gloves, they don't help with swelling, hands are huge when i take them off. having said that, i believe they stabilize my hands so I wear them. 

Does anyone think compression socks would help for my ankles? They swell alot and pain is unbearable...some days it doesn't go away.

Given the state of my hands...how will i get compression stockings on? was late for work because i couldn't pull up my pants lol...gotta laugh...crying is frowned on at work!

I have tried Tylenol for arthrits X strength, cold roll ons, ice, thc capsules and i take pain meds for a back injury....doesn't even touch the RA. also, tumeric on food and I have tried limiting the processed food I eat.

It might be another 3 months before I am approved...the wetter the weather, the worse I get. my rheumy is 8 hours away....what can I do? any suggestions are welcome

Thank you and take care

advertisement

Comments

• hi miscille!
    please click on the welcome link below.
    welcome to arthritis-health and how to start using our system

compression stockings are made to help control swelling in the feet, ankles and lower legs. benefits of compression stockings include helping to squeeze these areas to prevent the buildup of fluid in the tissue.

below is a very good article, the blend, on medications and treatments.

i have osteo in my spine, rheumatoid in my hands and fibro, but i also have a pain pump for spinal issues. i was taking savella for the fibro but had to stop because of the morphine. i am like you, nothing seems to help. but i keep trying with ice packs, heating pad and rest.
    take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 129

Just to add to what Sandra just commented on.    Many times, the need for compression stockings is a vascular problem.  There is not enough blood flow (to/from heart).  These stockings can help in that area.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • advertisement
  • darla19ddarla19 Posts: 2

Hi Miscille! It really does feel overwhelming to have more than one or two things going on. I think Drs are overwhelmed with it. But these are the hands (!) we are dealt so we deal. I have had some relief using compression gloves when typing. I know this is not what you asked but if you are so swollen after wearing them don't wear them as long, take breaks. See if a larger size is available because you just want some compression not a big squeeze. Best to you.