Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Please note
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable of providing any type of medical advice.

Healing of stiff knee after TKR

I had TKR in late April 2016. I experienced considerable swelling for at least 4 weeks after surgery and limited range of motion. At 10 weeks after surgery, I underwent MUA. At that time my extension was 3 deg and flexation was 90 deg. Due to pain and stiffness in my quad after the MUA, it took about 4 or 5 weeks of PT to get the range of motion I had before MUA. I stopped PT in August 2016 but continued to do the same excercises at home on my recumbent bike and on the weight machines at the Y. At that time I had -3 deg extention and 95 deg flexation. I could not go down stairs normally unless they were 5 inches or shorter. I had to put my sock on while keeping my foot on the floor and bending at the waist. Now a year after surgery, I am seeing some progress. I can go down stairs by rotating my body towards the operated knee and can put on my sock by raising my knee on the side of the bed. I have been able to move the seat forward three positions on the recumbent bike. 

Have others had similar experiences? Can I expect further improvement in range of motion? Is there any evidence that stiff knee after surgery is associated with anticoagulent use? I was using Xarelto at the time of surgery.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 109
    Having your Total Knee Replacement (TKR) done last April,I would expect at this point that things should be back to normal.  This is the first time that I have heard of Manipulation under Anesthesia (MUA) for any joint replacement surgery.

The fact that you can now down somewhat more progress would indicate you are heading in the right direction.  It seems to have been taking a bit longer for you.

My personal experiences have been with total Hip and Shoulder replacements with stems, ball, socket and titanium.  With my shoulders, the Physical therapy was a bear. I was in there for almost 18 months along with at least 90 minutes of PT by myself at home.   I could not stop normal PT even after a year.  When I did so, my range of motion decreased and my pain levels increased.

So, I am guessing at that point its only time for you.   But I would contact your surgeon to discuss this with him and see if its normal.  I know when I had my joints replaced, the surgeon clearly outlined the post surgical phases, including when I should begin to feel progress.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
     I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com  
  • Hello charliecp

Welcome to Arthritis-Health

I apologize for the delay in welcoming you, I have been off of the forum for a while.
    I have never had a knee replacement, all of my issues are spinal. But at least at this point you are seeing progress, one day at a time.
    But I agree with Ron, contact your surgeon to see if this is normal.

Please click on the Welcome link below for more information.

Welcome to Arthritis-Health and How to Start Using our System

We hope to hear from you again, keep us posted.

Sandra
    Arthritis-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement