If rheumatoid arthritis affects the joints in your hands, an occupational therapist (OT) can help. OTs are licensed health care practioners who can help you keep doing the activities that are important to you, such as working, driving, parenting, preparing meals, and participating in hobbies and sports. An occupational therapist can teach you to:

  • Improve your hand strength with hand exercises
  • Protect your hands from pain and deformities
  • Identify tips and tricks that help you accomplish everyday tasks
  • Use custom made hand splints
  • Cope with the psychosocial effects of pain

This information is not intended or implied as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images or other information provided is intended for general information purposes only. Always consult with your physician for diagnosis or treatment.